Thursday, August 14, 2014

VIGIL: MORNING PRAYERS



Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner


Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be Your name.
Your kingdom come,
Your will be done
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
And forgive us our sins,
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power and the glory are yours
now and forever. Amen.


Venite (Psalm 95 NRSV)

 O come, let us sing to the Lord;
    let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation!
 Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving;
    let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!
 For the Lord is a great God,
    and a great King above all gods.
 In his hand are the depths of the earth;
    the heights of the mountains are his also.
 The sea is his, for he made it,
    and the dry land, which his hands have formed.
 O come, let us worship and bow down,
    let us kneel before the Lord, our Maker!
 For he is our God,
    and we are the people of his pasture.


Te Deum

We praise you, O God,
we acclaim you as the Lord;

all creation worships you,
the Father everlasting.

To you all angels, all the powers of heaven,
the cherubim and seraphim, sing in endless praise:

Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might,
heaven and earth are full of your glory.

The glorious company of apostles praise you.
The noble fellowship of prophets praise you.

The white-robed army of martyrs praise you.
Throughout the world the holy Church acclaims you:

Father, of majesty unbounded,
your true and only Son, worthy of all praise,
the Holy Spirit, advocate and guide.

You, Christ, are the King of glory,
the eternal Son of the Father.

When you took our flesh to set us free
you humbly chose the Virgin’s womb.

You overcame the sting of death
and opened the kingdom of heaven to all believers.

You are seated at God’s right hand in glory.
We believe that you will come and be our judge.

Come then, Lord, and help your people,
bought with the price of your own blood,
and bring us with your saints
to glory everlasting. 


General Confession

Almighty and most merciful Father,
we have erred and strayed from your ways like lost sheep.
We have followed too much the devices and desires of our own hearts.
We have offended against your holy laws.
We have left undone what we ought to have done,
and we have done what we ought not to have done,
and there is no health in us.
Yet, good Lord, have mercy on us:
restore those who are penitent,
according to your promises declared to us in Jesus Christ our Lord.
And grant, merciful Father, for his sake,
That we may live a godly, righteous, and obedient life,
to the glory of your holy name. Amen. 

The Book of Common Prayer (modified)


Almighty and everlasting God, you hate nothing you have
made and forgive the sins of all who are penitent: Create and
make in us new and contrite hearts, that we, worthily
lamenting our sins and acknowledging our wretchedness,
may obtain of you, the God of all mercy, perfect remission
and forgiveness; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives
and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever
and ever. Amen. (Collect for Ash Wednesday).


1 Jesus, the joy of loving hearts,
true source of life, our lives sustain;
from the best bliss that earth imparts,
we turn unfilled to you again.

2 Your truth unchanged has ever stood;
you rescue those who on you call:
to those yet seeking, you are good;
to those who find you, all in all.

3 We taste of you, the living bread,
and long to feast upon you still.
We drink from you, the fountain-head,
our thirsty souls from you we fill.

4 Our restless spirits long for you,
however may our lot be cast,
glad when your gracious smile we view,
blessed when our faith can hold you fast.

5 Jesus, forever with us stay:
make all our moments calm and bright;
chase the dark night of sin away;
shed through the world your holy light.



Psalm 27
(The Message)
Light, space, zest—
    that’s God!
So, with him on my side I’m fearless,
    afraid of no one and nothing.

When vandal hordes ride down
    ready to eat me alive,
Those bullies and toughs
    fall flat on their faces.

 When besieged,
    I’m calm as a baby.
When all hell breaks loose,
    I’m collected and cool.

 I’m asking God for one thing,
    only one thing:
To live with him in his house
    my whole life long.
I’ll contemplate his beauty;
    I’ll study at his feet.

 That’s the only quiet, secure place
    in a noisy world,
The perfect getaway,
    far from the buzz of traffic.

 God holds me head and shoulders
    above all who try to pull me down.
I’m headed for his place to offer anthems
    that will raise the roof!
Already I’m singing God-songs;
    I’m making music to God.

Listen, God, I’m calling at the top of my lungs:
    “Be good to me! Answer me!”
When my heart whispered, “Seek God,”
    my whole being replied,
“I’m seeking him!”
    Don’t hide from me now!

You’ve always been right there for me;
    don’t turn your back on me now.
Don’t throw me out, don’t abandon me;
    you’ve always kept the door open.
My father and mother walked out and left me,
    but God took me in.

Point me down your highway, God;
    direct me along a well-lighted street;
    show my enemies whose side you’re on.
Don’t throw me to the dogs,
    those liars who are out to get me,
    filling the air with their threats.

I’m sure now I’ll see God’s goodness
    in the exuberant earth.
Stay with God!
    Take heart. Don’t quit.
I’ll say it again:
    Stay with God.

The Message (MSG)
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson


When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

(Isaac Watts; Youtube: Treorchy Male Voice Choir


O Lord, my heavenly Father, almighty and everlasting God, who has safely brought me to the beginning of this day; defend me in the same with your mighty power; and grant that this day I fall into no sin, neither run into any kind of danger; but that all my doings may be ordered by your governance, to do always what is righteous in your sight; through Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen.

(Collect for Grace)

~~

More prayers for a Sleepless Hour - http://sleeplesshour.blogspot.com.au/



No comments:

Post a Comment